Green Card Renewal & Replacement

Green Card Renewal & Replacement

A Permanent Resident Card (commonly referred to as “green card”) is the evidence of your status as a lawful permanent resident with a right to live and work permanently in the United States.

A Permanent Resident Card is valid for a period of ten years and can be renewed provided that the alien did not commit any serious crimes in the past.

A person granted conditional resident status who is nearing the end of the 2-year validity of his or her status must file a different application with the USCIS called Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence or Form I-751.  For further information on this type of petition, please contact our office for consultation.

Lawful permanent residents who were issued a Permanent Resident Card with a ten-year expiration date on the front of the card and the card is either expired or will expire within the next 6 months may submit their Form I-90 to the appropriate USCIS office.

Your permanent resident card needs to be replaced if: (1) your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed; (2) your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday; (3) you have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States; (4) you have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status; (5) your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status; (6) you have a previous version of the green card called alien registration card (USCIS form AR-3, form AR-103, or form I-151 – they are no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with the current permanent resident card form I-551; (7) your card contains incorrect data; (8) your name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card; and, (9) you never received the previous permanent resident card that was issued to you by the USCIS.