John Perry and Associates

Non-Immigrant Visas


F-1 Student Visa and F-2 Family

The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant, full-time, student visa that allows foreigners to pursue education in the United States. “F” visa is reserved for non-immigrants wishing to pursue academic studies and/or language training programs. F-1 visas are given only through “academic” institutions. Vocational education is not included in F1 visa; for vocational education, an M visa should be obtained. Further, F-1 visa applicant must be able to establish the intent to return to his/her home country upon completion of studies in the U.S. Except for on-campus employment of 20 hours a week or lesser, F-1 students are generally not permitted to work in the US without prior authorization from Citizenship… Read More



L-1A/L-1B Executive Manager/Specialized Knowledge

The L-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows companies operating both in the United States and abroad to transfer certain classes of employee from its foreign operations to its U.S. operations. The employee must have worked for a parent, affiliate, subsidiary, or branch office of the U.S. company outside of the USA for at least one year out of the last three years. The US office must be a parent company, branch company, or sister company to the foreign company. The L-1 visa has two subcategories: L-1A for executives and managers, and L-1B for workers with specialized knowledge. Specifically… Managerial/ Executive Staff: The legal meaning of management and executive… Read More


E-1/E-2 Treaty Trade / Treaty Investor Visa and Family

The E visas are for foreign nationals from countries having a commerce treaty with the U.S. E-l visa (treaty trader) requires the majority of the company’s trade between the foreign treaty country and the United States. E-2 visa (treaty investor) requires “substantial” investment in the U.S., depending on the nature of the business. E visa is also available for managers and executives of these companies. The E visa is usually granted for a five-year period by the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreigner’s home country. If the foreigner is in the United States, change of status can be granted for a two-year period. It can be extended indefinitely as… Read More



B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa

The B-1/B-2 Visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa issued to individuals who wish to come to the United States for business, pleasure, or a combination of both, or for medical treatment purposes. It is valid for a temporary period of stay in the U.S.
More specifically,
B-1 Visa – is issued to individuals who wish to enter the U.S. temporarily to engage in legitimate business activities, such as consultations, attend a scientific, educational, professional or business conventions or conferences, estate settlement, and contract negotiation. Additionally, personal or domestic assistants who come to the United States with a U.S. citizen or with a foreign nonimmigrant employer traveling on a B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, R, or TN visa, may also be issued the B-1 Visa.

B-2 Visa – is issued to individuals who wish to enter the U.S. temporarily for pleasure or tourism purposes or medical treatments. In order to be approved and issued the B-2 Visa, the individual must establish nonimmigrant intent, more specifically, he/she is only coming to the U.S. for a specific period of time; will not be engaging in work and will engage solely in legitimate touristic activities; and that he/she will continue to maintain foreign residence that has absolutely no intention of abandoning during the period of stay in the U.S.


H Visa

The H Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to work and stay temporarily in the United States. In order to apply for this type of visa, a qualified U.S. employer must file a nonimmigrant petition on behalf of the foreign national with the USCIS. Spouses and minor children may also qualify for the dependent nonimmigrant visa and may stay in the U.S. for the same duration as the H visa worker.



I Visa Representatives of the Media

The I Visa is a nonimmigrant visa issued to individuals who are representatives of the foreign information media outlets, such as press, radio, film or other foreign information media, who are coming to the United States to engage solely in this profession, and while maintaining a home office abroad.



J Visa Exchange Visitor Intern, Trainee, Researcher, Specialist and J-2 Family

The J-1 visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa issued to individuals who are considered as exchange visitors who wish to come to the United States temporarily to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.

The J-1 visa beneficiaries are sponsored by an exchange program designated by the U.S. Department of State to promote the interchange of persons, knowledge, and skills, in the field of education, arts, and science.



O Category

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is issued to individuals who possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and have been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements. It is a nonimmigrant employment-based visa category, which allows eligible individuals to come to the United States to work in their specific field of ability.



P Visa

The P visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific event as an athlete, artist or entertainer, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance. The P Visa consists of four classifications, namely, P-1 (Internationally Recognized Athletes/Entertainers), P-2 (Artists/Entertainers under Reciprocal Exchange Program), P-3 (Culturally Unique Performance), P-4 (Spouse and Unmarried Minor Children of the P Visa Holder).



R Visa

The R-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa issued to individuals who wish to come to the United States temporarily to be employed in a religious capacity, such as a minister, vocation or occupation at least part time (average of at least 20 hours per week) by a non-profit religious organization in the United States; or a religious organization that is authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption; or a non-profit religious organization which is affiliated with a religious denomination in the United States.



TN Visa

The TN Visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa issued to foreign nationals of Canada and Mexico, who seek temporary admission to the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. More specifically, this visa program is supported by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) who created a special economic and trade relationship for the United States, Canada and Mexico.